Monday, December 22, 2008

Module Two - Email Task

1. What information about a user's email, the origin of a message, and the path it took can you glean from an email message?

You can see the who the sender is, who the recipients are other than your self provided they have not been 'bcc', the subject, therefore the content of the email, the time it was sent and received. You can also tell if it is an original message or if it has been forwarded on.

2. In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc' , 'bcc' and 'reply all' functions of the email?

'cc' carbon copy
'bcc' blind carbon copy

I personally use 'cc' when I am sending in my call reports and pay information for work. I have the 'to' recipient as the pay office and the 'cc' as my boss who is more interested in the call report other than the pay sheet, but she still needs to view that information.

3. In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the reciever?

Try checking with the recipient first so you know what programs they have and if they will be able to open the intended file. Alternatively keep attachments to simple formats such as Jpeg .doc PDF or rich text format.
You can also ask the recipent to reply and let you know that they were able to open the attachment.

4. What sort of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purpose?

Currently other than a spam filter I have no other filters or rules set up on my email. I still have some 'junk' mail leak through into my inbox even though my filter is on high, so I would like to look into having this protected further.

5. How have you organised the folder structure of your email and why?

I have all emails come into the inbox and that's where they stay unless I delete them. I don't feel that I have a need to keep seperate folders for emails. I recieve a few work emails, the occasional email from university and then mostly just simple emails from friends. My inbox usually has up to 100 emails in it at a time, I don't delete my emails straight away, so if there is an email that I need to go back to I can if I need to.

No comments: