Monday, December 22, 2008

email lists

I have been looking into lists for the past hour or so now. At first I thought I was doing something wrong (if something doesn't go right I always blame myself first, for being totally clueless when it comes to the net), HOWEVER then I realised that email lists are EXTREMELY specific, and there is not really any space for maybe's.

The point I am trying to make is. . . .I first logged onto yahoo main groups page http://au.groups.yahoo.com/ I was not sure what groups I was intending on joining but something caught my eye."roadside fun" - find that unique location and take a road trip. Since my family and I will be travelling around victoria for three weeks as of next week I thought this would be something of interest.

http://au.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Regional/Countries/Australia

After clicking here I clicked Victoria and then however I ended up fairly dissapointed. The groups or lists that come up under that heading were things such as 'Melbourne Lesbian Scene', 'Muslims in Melbourne', 'Americans Living in Melbourne', and finally 'Islamic's studying at University'. While these all may be useful and interesting lists for some people they are certainly not what I expected to find under the road trip for victoria link. I even went back and retraced my steps just in case I did the wrong thing and came up with the same thing.

I then went onto topica lists http://lists.topica.com/channels/travel/ and decided I would try to find the same thing. Clearly this is a US based site and therefore I was not going to have any luck finding Victoria there. I then tried to look for something else I am interested in such as music, and while I am happy for other people to become a member on Britany Spears' fan site, it is not for me.

So far the lists have not been something that I would go to and look for, obviously I have not had much success with lists, but will try again and see if I have any better luck at a later stage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that there were some very "interesting" email list in that topic you picked ;)
Unfortunately I think many subject groups have been hijacked. I am a member of some specific email groups that relate to cycling. Fortunately i was referred to these by other cyclists. I know that somebody has to do the initial legwork, but referrals are easier.
Have a great trip.

Monique said...

Hey Belinda
Liked to post, very interesting. I hope u and ur fam have a great holiday in Victoria. I am checking out roadside fun lol
cheers
Mon